Our next UCTE-sponsored event is the 2014 Utah English Quest. Quest is a statewide competition for secondary level students, grades 8-12. Participants receive awards for outstanding performances in various categories related to language arts and receive medals and awards for outstanding performances. Please note these important details about the upcoming Quest competition:
- This year, the competition will be held at Weber State University in Ogden on February 14, 2014.
- Schools are required to bring adults judges (1 for every 10 students) to help facilitate the competition. Schools are encouraged to bring more volunteer judges than the required ratio, if possible.
- There is a cap on how many students may attend. Public schools may only register up to 50 students and private/charter schools may only register up to 40 students. Junior highs may bring up to five (5) 8th grade students. The 8th graders may participate in ONE event and observe the two other events.
- Students can compete in one of nineteen competition categories; view the list and descriptions of these categories.
- The 2014 reading list has now been made available; 2014 English Quest Book List.
- The 2014 spelling list is now available; click here for the list.
Registration is required for both the school and individual students.
We're excited to offer online registration this year: Register online here!
We're excited to announce the 2014 Annual UCTE Conference to be held on Friday, November 7, 2014. We've been working to confirm speakers and guests for the conference, and we can announce that Cris Tovani (author of, among others, the books I Read It, but I Don't Get It and So What Do They Really Know?) will be our featured keynote speaker at next year's conference. We are pleased to also announce that we have tentatively confirmed that Gene Yuen Lang (author of the critically acclaimed graphic novel, American Born Chinese) will be speaking next year as well.
We do not yet have our venue confirmed but we plan to hold the conference in Salt Lake City. We will, of course, have more details posted in the coming months to this web site. Please check back, but if you want to be informed of upcoming events and details, please add your email address to our mailing list!
We had a fantastic conference this year. Our keynote speakers gave some compelling ideas for classroom practice, and the breakout sessions were praised by participants as being very helpful. We hope all those who attended were able to reconnect with colleagues and peers as well as come away with great ideas for their classrooms. Thanks to all of you for your attendance and your patience with some of the challenges we faced this year.
Many of you have requested a copy of the presentation given by Daron Kennet regarding the SAGE testing. You can access a copy of his presentation from this link.