The next major event sponsored by UCTE is our annual QUEST competition for Utah's high school students. This year's competition will be held at Weber State University on Friday, March 27, 2015.
QUEST is a wonderful opportunity for students to compete in a number of reading, writing, and performance competitions. If you'd like more information, check out our QUEST page. Or, if you're ready to register a team for the competition, visit our online registration page.
Quest is a statewide competition for secondary level students, grades 8-12. Participants receive awards for outstanding performances in various categories related to language arts and receive medals and awards for outstanding performances. Please note these important details about the upcoming Quest competition:
- This next QUEST competition will be held at Weber State University in Ogden on March 27, 2015.
- Schools are required to bring adults judges (1 for every 10 students) to help facilitate the competition. Schools are encouraged to bring more volunteer judges than the required ratio, if possible.
- There is a cap on how many students may attend. Public schools may only register up to 50 students and private/charter schools may only register up to 40 students. Junior highs may bring up to five (5) 8th grade students. The 8th graders may participate in ONE event and observe the two other events.
- Students can compete in one of nineteen competition categories; view the list and descriptions of these categories.
- The 2015 reading list has now been made available: click here for this list.
Registration is required for both the school and individual students.
We're excited to offer online registration this year! More details and a link will be available here once the deadline approaches.
Utah English Quest is a language arts festival designed to celebrate and promote all areas of literacy. This festival, held annually in the spring, encourages and rewards Utah students' excellence in reading, writing, speaking, presenting, filming, drawing, and acting. The contests showcase students' expression and expertise in their use of language and communication. All Utah students in grades 9-12 are invited to participate in this opportunity to share and present their language arts talents and abilities. Find out more about our Quest competition from our Quest portal page.
English Quest features a wide variety of competition categories, all related to the English or Language Arts. Below we've listed all the events as well as a brief description of each. In many categories, you can view copies of the scoring guide or other information used to judge the events.
NOTE: In all art events, there will be a digital division for art created with computers.
The Quest competition features a full day of activities. Here's what our schedule typically looks like:
Check-in: 10:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
Opening Assembly: 10:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Judges Meeting: 10:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Event 1: 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Event 2: 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Event 3: 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Best Performances: 2:00 - 2:30 p.m.
Closing Assembly: 2:30 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
FROM THE NORTH:
Go southbound on I-15 to 21st Street exit. Continue east to Harrison Boulevard (approximately 4 miles). Turn right (south) on Harrison Boulevard and go approximately 3 miles to University Circle (3800 South). Turn left on University Circle and follow directional signs.
FROM THE SOUTH:
Go northward on I-15 to exit 324 near Lagoon. Travel north on US-89 to Harrison Boulevard. Turn right (north) on Harrison Boulevard and go approximately 3 miles to 4100 So. Turn right at the first entrance into campus and follow directional signs